The footprint of tradition can be traced back to 1920 in a factory some 200 miles south of
Chicago in Decatur, Illinois. Mr. A.E. Staley hired George Halas and Dutch Sternaman to
lead his company-sponsored football team as player-coaches. The Decatur Staleys made history
on October 3, 1920 as they took the field against the Moline Tractors. To garner more support,
the team moved north in 1921 and were subsequently renamed the Chicago Staleys. With Cubs
Park as their home field, the Staleys became league champions for the first time in 1921. At the
suggestion of Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley, Halas changed the name to the Chicago Bears.